Thursday, August 05, 2010

Speeding to a Stop

The dark wooded road was filled with blind curves and a double yellow line for the protection of all traveling its path. My rearview mirror filled with headlights approaching so fast that I wondered if my speed had dwindled. No… I was 8 M.P.H. over the speed limit and needed to slow down, but I didn’t dare for fear that the driver hugging my bumper would climb into my backseat.

The distance between cars reduced further. I could feel the impatient driver’s aura demanding I move out of the way. I glanced at my speedometer and realized I was 12 M.P.H. over the speed limit, hoping the curves in the road wouldn’t send me into the woods.

Directly behind me came the rev of a car’s engine. I glanced at the rearview mirror as the car pulled around me. The car flew past on the wrong side of the double yellow lines, making me look as if I were traveling at half the 40 M.P.H. speed limit.

A second car’s headlights filled my mirror. The tires squealed and the engine revved, moving the car across the yellow lines into potentially oncoming traffic. A third car lit up my mirror and accelerated even faster as it moved across the double lines and came within a few feet of the other car’s bumper. Both cars flew past me. Within seconds the cars disappeared from my view.

I was thankful they all made it back into the right lane without incident. I took my foot off of the gas pedal and returned to the proper speed. I was thankful that God kept me safe along with those zipping past me in the opposite direction. I couldn’t help but wonder that if one of those cars passed me a tad bit earlier, I’d be driving past wreckage.

I came around another blind curve and found all three cars at the stoplight in front of me. Since all three were heading straight, I was unable to turn right on red. The irony of me waiting on them to proceed didn’t escape me.

Then I noticed the stickers on the cars and the teen boys in the drivers seat. They were students from a local Christian school – Boys that didn't seem to be living out their beliefs of loving others as Christ loved them.

As I patiently waited for the light to turn green, I prayed for the boys to be safe and gain wisdom without any incidental experience. I also wondered if the normal speed trap around the next curve was manned and ready to teach the boys a lesson, before they might face consequences that could change their lives for years to come.

While I’m sure the testosterone levels in the boys played an important role in their reckless behavior, I wondered what foolish behaviors I might exhibit based on my limited perspectives. I was curious to know if I was speeding through life, only to find myself standing still and waiting for God’s perfect plan to unfold. I also wondered if the person in the car behind me might be saying a prayer, protecting me from the foolishness of my bad choices in life.

Peace flooded my soul as I thought about how God makes all things work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment