Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Angel with the Handlebar Mustache


I was enjoying the perfect fall day as I headed down the highway after work. My friend Dennis and I had plans to see the much-anticipated Wall Street sequel followed by grabbing a bite to eat. All was going well until my tire lost air, forcing me to drive on the rim until I got off the highway – It was a miracle that I didn’t have a blow out.

The place my car came to a stop was not the best of choices, being at the bottom of an off ramp that merged with another street – But I didn’t want to take the risk of bending the rim by continuing forward. I carefully slipped out of the drivers seat as cars cruised past me within inches of my arm.

Fortunately the flat tire was on the curbside of the car, so I was able to jack up the car and change the tire without being concerned for my life. Well, except for the thought that popped into my mind: A car might come down the ramp a little too fast and find themselves having to quickly steer away from my parked car to avoid a collision.

That’s when I glanced toward the back of my car and noticed a man who looked like he came out of the Easy Rider movie with a blue jean jacket and handlebar mustache. He just stood about ten feet behind my car and kept focused on the traffic. While I had no clue where he came from or when he arrived, I some how knew he was making sure the cars coming off the ramp saw him and were then able to slow down before coming upon my parked car.

Once the tire was changed, I tossed the flat in my trunk with the jack and noticed that the man had a large 42” traffic cone set up to guide those exiting the ramp away from my car. The large traffic cone prompted me to wonder where this guy came from, so after I thanked him, I asked if he lived nearby. He said, “Yes,” grabbed the cone and disappeared into the tree line.

I wondered if he was an angel with a handlebar mustache or just a kind soul prompted by God to oversee my safety.

Some might ask, “Why would God send someone to watch over you instead of protecting your tire from going flat?” My response is simple: God gave man free will, which causes nails to end up on highways or other types of crisis to occur. To honor the free will He gave us, He allows a lot of things to happen, but always makes sure He’s walking alongside of those who choose to have a relationship with Him.

While I might face various negative consequences of mine, or someone else’s bad choices, I know beyond any shadow of doubt that He walks with me through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment